Saturday 11 December 2010

Shepherd

The Old Testament contains many prophecies that God will raise up a "shepherd" to take care of His people.  The New Testament makes it clear that Jesus is this shepherd.

See, for example, the following verses:
  • Matthew 2:6: “But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; for out of you will come a ruler who will shepherd my people Israel.”
  • Matthew 9:36: When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
  • Matthew 25:32: All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.
  • Matthew 26:31: Then Jesus told them, “This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ "
  • Mark 6:34: When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things.
  • John 10:11: [Jesus said:] “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."
  • John 10:14: [Jesus said:] “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me".
  • John 10:16: [Jesus said:] "I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."
  • Hebrews 13:20: Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep...
  • 1 Peter 2:25: For “you were like sheep going astray,” but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
  • 1 Peter 5:4: And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
  • Revelation 7:17: For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd. He will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.
What does it mean to say that Jesus is a shepherd?  It means that He guides, nurtures and protects us.  This only applies, however, if we submit to Him and trust Him, just as sheep tend to be docile and trusting.

1 comment:

  1. Is there any truth on earth more precious than Jesus as our Shepherd? Oh, how my heart loves it, because He has been such a good Shepherd to me. Over and over and over again He has rescued me from danger, when I have been like a little lamb drifting off in the wrong direction, heading down a pit too "dumb" [a sheep is not a smart animal] to stop. He is so worthy of our praise. I'm where I am today--in beautiful green pastures where He restores my soul and leads me in paths of righteousness-- because of my GOOD SHEPHERD. John 10, Psalm 23.

    ReplyDelete